The Student Union Government of Federal University Otuoke, on the 5th of July held its 1st General Congress with the presence of the executive, the parliament arm, the Judiciary and the students of the University.
The SUG President Comr. Richard Millow A. in his opening address gave an advice to the students that they should always be bold and never be intimidated by anything or anyone on campus, rather they should speak up and the government of the student union will give them a listening ear.
He went further to speak on the government’s achievements in her short period in office and proposed projects for the school in favour of the students such as;
1. Organization of Student Week: He made it open to the students that the union borrowed money to fund the week because the school did not give a reasonable amount in funding it, and because the union didn’t want to quench the vibes already flowing in the heart of the students they had to borrow to fund the week.
2. Walk way @ the back of the Library: The back walk way to the faculty of Humanities and social science had always been a little flooded because of the landscape but the Union has done a little cross over where the students won’t have to dip their legs into the water.
Among all the projects proposed by the current SUG government to the school management, the under listed projects have been approved and the SUG have already commenced work to realize them:
- FUO Freedom Square
- Student Bus
- Suggestion Box for Faculties
- Mini Market
- Equip of the School Library
- Federal University Otuoke Mascot at West campus gate
- Pimping of beach soccer pitch
- Wears identification of students e.g. T-Shirts, face caps etc
The SUG president also told the Students that there won’t be any lack of water in their hostels anymore as the drivers of the tankers that didn’t carry out their duties fully have been changed. He told the students to always keep their environment clean and most importantly the school’s toilet.
The students in their own contribution to the government proposed project told the SUG to see to the provision and usage of Public address system at the Skills Auditorium during lectures, Reduction of House Rents and a plea that there should be spacing in exam timetables.
Among the activities of the congress was the presentation and inauguration of the committee members that will work with the different Directors of the student union government.