WRONG CHOICES AND AFTERMATHS. THE NEED FOR A RETHINK.
THE PREMISE OF MY ARGUMENT:
Politics they say is the struggle for power. Power to allocate scarce resources and values. All Political actors have personal interests and values.
The diverse interests and values of political actors induces their actions and inaction.
In pursuit of these values and interests, Political actors align, break alliances and re-align again when necessary, with those that will best serve their interests.
The following are Political facts:
1. All actors have and pursue their personal interests. Some reflect societal (Students) values. Others are reflection of selfish ambitions.
2. While the struggle lasts, It is never too late to confer loyalty and withdraw same, this is because the game is not over till it is over.
3. No permanent friends and enemies. Only permanent interests. Your political friends can be your enemies within a blink of an eye and your enemies can be your friends. It all depends on what and where their interests lie.
A CHANGE IN THE ORDER AND THE NEED FOR RE-ALIGNMENT.
Relating the foregoing to the shift in the political atmosphere in Federal University Otuoke since last week, it is only good that we as rational beings (Students) redefine our interests and align with the most suitably qualified candidates that can deliver.
It is not time for sympathy. It is not time for a first-come, first-serve dirty play. We should take cognizance of the fact that we are about determining our fate as students of this great institution for the next one year and as such, it is time for issue based alliance. Our plight as students is bigger than the ambitions of any aspirants. It is time for business and not time for petty sympathy.
I implore you to have a rethink, and choose those that will represent you for the next year wisely. Don’t let anyone come to you with dirty stories soliciting cheap sympathy. It is not a matter of who came first, but it is a matter how competent you are. It is not how far, it is how well.
BE CRITICAL AND BE OBJECTIVE.
Ask Questions my fellow students. Check their precedents and see how much contributions they have made to the University’s growth selflessly. Let them show you verifiable proof.
Know that the leadership of the SUG is not an amateur’s experimental class where baby scientists come to do their trial and errors research. It is for seasoned and highly capacitated leaders (Finest of Students Activists) who has shown their alutarized consciousness in different phases of the struggle on campus. Ask them their relationship with the students and how well they know your pains.
Don’t be fooled by their deceptive eloquence; mastery of English language and wagging-sugar coated tongues. Pay attention to the logicality of their arguments. They usually hide their weakness behind the gullibility of their audience. Don’t be gullible. Ask intelligent questions and you will be shocked how empty they are intellectually.
- It is not how far, but how well.
- It is not choices made out of sympathy for a particular candidate, but choices made out of true love for the interests, greatness and well-being of FUO Students.
- Sympathetic choices births inept Leaders and gives room for idiocy to bloom. Our interests as Students are bigger than their ambitions. Be wary.
IT IS AN ELECTION:
It is meant to be contested and not benevolently bestowed on a particular candidate.
Vote for Competency.
Vote for Students Interests and welfare.
Vote for Alutarized conscious Comrades.
Vote Leaders who understands that the beauty of the game is the struggle and not some lazy opportunists who want to rely on benevolence to ascend a glorious throne.
Vote for those that won’t compromise but are ready and willing to make the sacrifices.
Don’t mortgage your interests my fellow Students.
(Please Share to every FUO Student and group. Let’s do it).
BY COMR. OLOROGUN, AKPOBASAH H. O.
[A Political Scientist. A Student leader and Social media influencer]